PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, April 18, 2010

KICK ASS. A Roncomedy Review

First and foremost I have to say that I LOVED this comic. It really took what every comic book fan goes though at one point. What would it be like to be a real life superhero? The comic is gritty and down to earth and doesn't end with everything going right for our hero.

The film took the exact opposite approach.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie, and it really tried to at least keep the feel of the book. A lot of the key moments from the book were changed around and sped up for the film but I understand that has to be done in Hollywood. That is until the last act of the film. Then it kind of takes that odd twist into a traditional superhero film. Something that it has no business being.

Performance wise I really enjoyed the film and think that everyone did a great job in their portrayals of their respective characters. That being said, there were some stand outs that I would really like to address.

Chloe Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready/Hit Girl was just amazing. Every scene that she was in really became hers. She totally brought the character of Hit Girl right from the pages of the book.

I am not really a Nicolas Cage fan in the slightest. With the exceptions of Face/Off and Leaving Las Vegas I feel that he really gives the same performance in every role that he is in. Then I saw him in KICK ASS. His portrayal of Damon McCready/Big Daddy was both intense and comical at the same time. It was great to see Cage in a role like this.

Now I won't spend time on the small things that they had to change because it's a movie. I understand that is going to happen. I have come to accept that. However there are a few things that bother me.

They are really going all out to promote this film as "ultra violent" but one particular death scene (and if you know the comic you know the one I am talking about) was changed and it really felt like a puss out. Also, there was a certain connection between two characters that should have NEVER happened.

Stick with me kids, I'm TRYING to stay spoiler free.

My biggest complaint is a certain part near the end with a certain machine that took me completely out of the film.

If you haven't read the comic and you are looking for a good time this is your picture. Its got comedy, violence and heroics. If you are a fan of the comic book, and you are looking for something that resembles the source material that we waited so long for, you might be let down

No comments: